Thursday, December 15, 2005

Good morning Johannesburg!!

The good morning will occur on January 8th; I depart Flint, MI on the 7th...fly to Atlanta, then on to the sunny weather of "Joburg" that day. I'll arrive, along with three Fulbright colleagues. We will be met and greeted by Fulbright Commission officials from Pretoria.
The planning and preparation for this year-long teaching adventure has been going on for most of 2005, since about April, I think. There have been many, many emails back and forth between my exchange partner, Ms. Maria (Marina) Cronje. She's a Geography teacher at Norkem Park High School, in Kempton Park, a suburb of Johannesburg. We have gotten to know each other fairly well over the past year--sharing professional advice, family stories, utilitarian information, and just plain talk about our respective positions as teachers. It's been fun!
With that, I'll sign off for now with much, much more information forthcoming. I must add that this Blog is being accomplished with the able assistance of one Mr. Page Brousseau, my pre-student teaching intern during the past few weeks. Thanks to him this Blog will be a reality...