Saturday, January 14, 2006

IT'S OFFICIAL: I've Been in S.A. for ONE week!

That's right, a milestone of sorts, today is January 14, 2006, and a week has passed since arrival at Johannesburg International Airport (which is only minutes away from my new address in Kempton Park, right outside of Joburg). It has been yet another day of cultural adaptation, combined with what I'm told is bravery.

In my estimation, the bravery aspect of today was driving to Norkem Park High School for teacher in-service training...giving up a Saturday was a real sacrifice! The subject of the training was assertive discipline; I found it quite useful and the book I purchased at the end of the day will be put to use both here and in Flint. As a matter of fact, this all-day session was one of the most outstanding inservice days I've ever experienced! Just like everything else at that school, the teaching staff, and their concerns in the classroom, are not much different than what I have experienced during my over 30-year tenure with Flint Schools.

The most succinct point of training was for staff to be ever mindful of being positive in the classroom--and to praise, praise, praise the learners. This type of reinforcement for an "old" veteran like me has come at a time in my career when it is most needed. The person leading the training reminded us of the fact that giving praise is not something that comes naturally--it takes much repetition to gain it as a habit between the learners and teacher. The lessons learned today are welcome by me; they will be valuable this year in South Africa, along with being very worthwhile in Flint. And of course, the praise habit should be something that flows over to one's family life, community life, etc. A wonderful, fulfilling, yet exhausting day!