Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The "Golden Arches" Never Looked So Good!

Yesterday, January 16, was a momentous day for me! Or was it? I got (very) lost. It was the first time driving to Norkem Park High School. Not a big deal, right? Wrong! I have already commented on the "driving on the wrong side of the road", etc. Izak Cronje, Marina's erstwhile husband, had written a fairly detailed map for me...he was sure I could go it alone, make it safely to school that day. Wrong, again.

Simply put, I got all turned around in the path he had drawn out for me. The one location that stood out along the way was McDonald's--and those very familiar golden arches. On the way back to home, I kept going full circle somehow and I finally decided my only hope was to seek help at the American icon of icons. Entering meekly, I stepped up to the counter and asked to see the manager. The young lady said she would "fetch" the manager...fetching is something folks do in South Africa.

The manager came forth and I explained that I was an American and I could not find my way to DeVilliers Avenue in Van Riebeeck Park. At that point a promise was made that when my family arrived in South Africa we would eat at her restaurant often. The manager broke out in a kind smile and said she could help me find my way home. Just then a colleague from Norkem Park High School approached: I know her as "Bonnie." She asked what was the problem and could she help. I thanked the manager for her offer of assistance and my fellow teacher realized I was lost and she gave me specific, easy directions on how to get to my home. What a huge relief! At that point I was pretty stressed out and the drive home was accomplished with a smile on my face as wide as those famous arches!

By the way, I stopped by that same McDonald's the next day...I couldn't resist going back to say thanks to that kind manager. And I ordered a McChicken dinner with fries and a coke. Guess what? The food there was almost exactly the same as the McDonald's on Miller Road in Flint. Funny how Ray Kroc's genius ended up saving a lost teacher from Flint in Kempton Park, South Africa. Thanks, Ray!