Sunday, January 22, 2006

IMPALA, NYALA, KUDU, ZEBRA, ELAND, WILDEBEEST, WATER BUCK...AND A FEW PESKY INSECTS!

Norkem Park High School has a unique program of selecting a group of seniors for special service to the school: they become members of the I.D.C. (Interim Disciplanary Committee). They are trained to be role models for all students to follow--the kids are exceptional and act somewhat like American students who are chosen for leadership with school student councils. A huge difference is the fact that the N.P.H.S. learners (as they call students), are not chosen the manner in which Southwestern Academy students are chosen, that is as in a popularity contest.

I had the extreem pleasure of spending this past weekend with these youngsters. They are expected to go through a challenge course that builds teamwork, individual performance, and loyalty to the benefit of the school. It bonds the kids together in a similar way that such training does in the U.S. One big difference is that there is praying each and every day (yes, Norkem Park is a public institution). Administrators and staff from the school give inspirational talks to the youth, plus the kids accomplish such activities as watersports, individual and group assessments, communication games, self-improvement techniques, teambuilding, cultural hikes, and the dreaded adventure course.

All of this took place at a gigantic reserve area identified as Groot Marico Educational Environmental Centre. It is located in Northwest Province, near the old town of Zeerust, which is located not too far from the Botswana border. Wow, I suddenly realized I now have been in two provinces of South Africa (our school and my home are in Gauteng Province)! Staring off in the distance, I was told the blue mountains marked the border of Botswana...a destination I want to seek later in the year with my family.

Now, getting to the animals! The centre is a training site for learners from all over the region. The idea is to get them outside the urban centers in and around Johannesburg and involve them in what is deemed necessary by respective school officials in offering the kids perspectives of nature--or in the aforementioned leadership training. Part of the fun of being at this camp is the trip offered to view animals that are evident there. Staff was given the opportunity to climb on board a Toyota SUV, which was fitted with several canvas seats located in an open-air, high-up position, in the back of the vehicle. Six of us eagerly clammored for a seat on that Saturday, anticipating contact, at least visually, with the animals we were told inhabited the fenced-off area of the camp. The high fences protect the animals from "outside" animals, poachers, and/or hunters. I was told that during hunting season, one can enter the facility and help "harvest" the population (a word I find repugnant, but perhaps accurate in the context of hunting animals).

The vehicle slowly lunged and lurched across the recently dampened, red rocky soil. There was some pavement here and there. The "bush", as it is called, consists of trees and bushes that are similar to what I have seen in California. The rains that fell during the past few days brought out small patches of bright flowers that deepened ones' sense of the outdoors, what with all the forest green all over. The slate-like, brown and red rocks reminded me of areas seen along the highway in either Kentucky or Wyoming.

Someone spotted a zebra! Then there were three more. All of a sudden there were other animals in the wild running across out path! They were in the distance, perhaps 100 meters away: close enough to zoom in with my digital camera and capture their flight! Eventually we saw small herds of impala, nyalya, kudu, eland, wildebeest, water buck, and the previously mentioned zebra. Incredible! At that moment, at that game-reserve, nature camp, located three and a half hours west of Johannesburg, I found myself in the "real" Africa! I couldn't stop smiling as I snapped photo after photo of those maginificent beasts in their protective environment. Sadly, I was informed that the animals ran at the sound of the truck we were sighting them from--they knew from previous encounters during hunting season, the sound of the truck and what would follow--the crack, crack, crack of powerful weapons. My "hunt" was more than satisfactory; the click of the lens was all they were hear from me.

Yes, I discovered Africa on Saturday, January 21, 2006. It only prompted me to think of the Africa that was waiting at Kruger National Park, and other provincial game reserve parks throughout South Africa. In just a few days that I've been here so far, having landed in this multi-cultural center of the world on January 8, I've been very fortunate to have impressions that will last a lifetime. I can't help but imagine the lifetime of memories that our 6-year-old Ivan J.J. will encounter. Svetlana, my wonderful, loving wife, will get to share this adventure too...come on guys, get here (they are set to arrive on February 23)!