Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Ned Geref Kerk Kempton-Hoogland on a Sunday!

Afrikaans, they say, is an easy language to learn. That statement danced around in my mind as I sat there in the Ned Geref Kerk Kempton-Hoogland (Dutch Reformed Church Kempton-Highland). This was not the conservative church I had heard and read about...the neatly dressed congregation of all ages sang loud and strong to keyboard and guitars and the tap, tap, tap of young musicians on the alter.

I later informed Izak that this was the first time I had ever been exposed to a power-point presentation by a minister in a church, nevermind a Dutch Reformed Church! Oh, I have experienced modern, hip music in giving praise before, but this time it was different. It was much different because of the new technology of a power-point sermon...or was it a lesson on life and living it the right way?

The minister was a young fellow. He was dressed in casual clothing and his demeanor was one of a youthful college professor. His lesson was on character (in Afrikaans that's karakter). Remember what I said about it being an easy language to learn? Well, don't be fooled by one word. Anyway, the sermon included references to Socrates and other great minds. I wasn't sure what was being said, but I enjoyed the minister's enthusiasm and the fact that he seemed to be teaching rather than sermonizing.

It did strike me that as long as he was addressing character why didn't he mention ethos? In one of my lessons in World History classes I have been known to drone on and one about ethos and what that means relative to character. To me, ethos is very important in teaching about virtuous people in History. For that matter, teaching about virtues is vital. I have a unit on teaching virtues and values that I am using right now at Norkem Park High School. It is critical that learners are able to distinguish the difference between virtues and values.

I teach them that a virtue is something that makes you good. A list of virtues are attached to the lesson. Values are different: they are something you want. A value in and of itself can not make you good. Power is a value. It can be used for good or bad...mostly bad in my estimation.

The lesson on virtues and values has made me feel comfortable at my new South African school. I also felt very comfortable at the Dutch Reformed Church last Sunday evening. That young minister I mentioned even slipped in an introduction of me to the congregation. For some unknown reason they applauded me. It's not the first time I have received applause upon being introduced to an audience here. It is not a comfortable feeling to me, what with the American presence in Iraq and Afghanistan and other places all over the globe. I do not want to get political with this posting, but that was just my thinking at that time.

That Sunday evening I was forced to stop singing while reading the words in English on the huge screen in front of the alter. I got caught up in the feeling of joy and happiness in giving praise; it brought tears to my eyes. In a strange land, a strange church, witnessing in Afrikaans, a strange language to me too. The real comfort came from the unstrange friendliness of the smiling people sitting in my pew--and that warm introduction from Minister Neels du Randt!