Thursday, January 26, 2006

January 26, 2006: Day of Events Worth Noting...

Most importantly, today is my oldest son's birthday. Erik John Davidek has 31 candles on his birthday cake this day. In a way I am glad the service provider wasn't available right now with my email account at Flint Community Schools, hence this posting honoring Erik's birthday. It's frustrating not being able to send him an email birthday wish--this will serve that purpose. Happy birthday wonderful son!

Interestingly, this might be Erik's last birthday in the United States for awhile. How so? Well, Erik is married to an attractive, energetic young woman from Iceland. The two met while both were students at Flint Southwestern Academy, Flint, Michigan. Bryndis Einersdotter was Erik's true love from the very beginning. To make a long story short, they fell in love, dated, and were eventually married in Iceland...throw in a few years of college at Eastern Michigan University too.

They now enjoy parenthood and have provided me with my first grandchild, Isabella. The beautiful little girl is now almost five years of age. She's been sheer joy for Erik and Bryndis, to say nothing of the happiness Isabella has brought to her American "grandpa."

Bryndis and Isabella are now in Iceland. Erik has remained in Traverse City, Michigan, finishing off a school year there as a teacher in the high school. Bryndis is expecting their second child, a boy I've been told, in later February. I'm not sure about the arrangements for Bryndis and Isabella returning to the northern Michigan city, but their plans are to live in Iceland for some time, which means Erik's birthday might be his last in America for some time.

I am here in South Africa. Erik is in Michigan. Bryndis and Isabella are in Iceland. We manage with the wonders of email and this blog posting honors him in that way too. Erik is "big brother" to Ivan John Josef, my son with my second wife, Svetlana. Ivan likes to copy Erik in many ways, one of which is a haircut I do not particularily admire. Erik prefers to almost shave his head. It is so short it reminds me of a "five o'clock shadow", only that's his Davidek head! Please Ivan: don't arrive in South Africa with your head shaved! It could be worse I suppose. Erik could have a shaggy mange of hair reminiscent of the hippies of the 1960's. Keep it shaven, boy!

Another event of note today was the fact that Svetlana called me at 5a.m. at home. The noteworthyness is related to a telephone being installed for our use in the home I'm living in now. There have been a few calls made by Sveta to school--most of which ended up with me sprinting from my far away room to the main office (not a lovely sight!). What has been most disturbing has been my panting, trying to catch my breath while attempting to listen to Svetlana's endearing words from far away Flint, Michigan (not a pretty sound!).

The important thing now is we can call each other and learn what's happening in our respective locations. She has the advantage of checking in on this blog and learning of some of my memorable experiences in and around Kempton Park, S.A. My life right now consists of home and school, school and home. No complaints other than the fact that I miss my darling, sweet wife very, very much. The pain goes even deeper when I think about Ivan not being here. They will join me in late February, then we'll be a family again...enjoying the life I've been able to establish here as a Fulbright Teacher Exchange educator.

I am indebted to many people for these events unfolding before my eyes. I'm a very fortunate, blessed fellow. Most of all, I thank my wife, Svetlana. She has maintained her sanity through all my up and down moments as a result of being selected by the U.S. State Department's Office of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Little Ivan, I thank you too! Our separation will come to an end soon.

There is no doubt I thank my kind and generous sister, Mary Ann Buffone. She, and her family members, have supported me throughout...and continue to do so. My twin brother Jim: I thank you for understanding our being apart. Brothers Bill and Len, I thank you for your just being proud of this accomplishment by your younger brother.

I owe great gratitude to Mary Lou Johnson-Pizarro, Senior Program Officer, with the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs, U.S. State Dept. Mary Lou had a hand in choosing me. Monica Joyi, with the Fulbright Office in S.A., thanks for your kindness and friendship. Monica was the first South African person I met; she greeted the four of us, the lucky Fulbrighters, as we trudged off that jumbo-jet at Joburg International.

There are other important people to salute. I owe a huge thank you to my former principal, Dave Ginsberg. Mr. Ginsberg's enthusiasm and support in my endeavors was like no other administrator I've ever been associated with--my Spartan hat is off to you Dave! All my esteemed colleagues at Flint S.W. Academy were very supportive of this venture: Ray Molina, thanks! Keep those emails coming, Ronnie Sue and Dennis!

Lastly, I thank Izak Cronje and his wonderful S.A. Fulbright wife, Marina! She is my counterpart in all this--the keeper of the keys to my room back at FSA. I am trying to keep her keys (safe), at Norkem Park High School. My propensity for misplacing keys has already occured here--twice! Please forgive me, my dear Marina!

Erin, I haven't forgotten you. Erin Marie Davidek is my daughter from my previous marriage (Erik and Erin have that distinction). I'm sorry my dearest that we missed each other before that frantic Saturday morning, January 7. Take good care of little Sampson. I know he'll miss his grandpa, right?

Have I forgotten anyone? I am absolutely sure that I have. A warm hello and thanks to friends such as Rickey Hampton, "Blanch", and those two wonderful, creative teachers at Central High School, Judy and Ruth. Marwan, thanks for the great New Year party! Professor Kahn, thanks for your friendship...don't forget to look me up when you come to S.A.! And Mr. LeGrow, thanks for those great-tasting eggs. Stop in and check up on the girls, okay?